You've done research on permanent hair removal, and perhaps you've even tried other treatments, like laser hair removal. Now you've made the decision to embark on electrolysis as your permanent hair removal solution. Here the question becomes, "How do I prepare for my electrolysis appointment?" Each salon may have different preparation suggestions, so these are the steps we tell our clients to take before their appointment.
- Come for a consultation: The very first step in the electrolysis journey is an electrolysis consultation. It's at this consultation where we'll discuss the process of the electrolysis treatment in depth, and how exactly it works to permanently remove hair. We'll discuss any concerns you may have and answer any lingering questions. Our electrolysis consultations are absolutely free and last 15-30 minutes. If you'd like to schedule yours, request an appointment online, or call our salon at (319) 373-9596.
- Drink up: Well-hydrated skin can help the treatment be more comfortable, so drink plenty of water the week leading up to your appointment, and try to avoid things that will dehydrate your skin, such as caffeine and alcohol.
- Stop the pluck: Refrain from short-term hair removal methods leading up to your appointment. Avoid plucking or waxing for 2-3 weeks before, and avoid shaving for 3-5 days before your electrolysis appointment. In order for the needle to follow the hair follicle and more easily remove the hair, there needs to be at least 1/8th of an inch of hair above the surface of the skin.
- Come as you are: Don't worry about coming with naked skin (no makeup, deodorants, lotions, or creams); Teresa will do all necessary skin prep for the treatment. The only products you should avoid before your appointment would be anything with strong ingredients that might cause irritation during the treatment, such as a prescription retinol. Tell us what products you're using, and we'll let you know if irritation might be a concern.
- Prep for the pain: Yes, electrolysis can be a little uncomfortable. Everyone has their own reaction to pain and has different levels of pain tolerance. The sensation from electrolysis is often compared to that of plucking the hair or a small pinching feeling. If you know you have a lower tolerance for pain and are worried about feeling pain during your treatment, we recommend taking an anti-inflammatory pain reliever about 30 minutes to an hour before your appointment. Before the treatment we also treat the area with a mild numbing agent to help manage any other pain. We'll do everything we can to make the process as comfortable as possible, so please let us know what you're feeling throughout the treatment.
- Have open communication: Finally, if you need to cancel or reschedule, remember to call or email us at least 24 hours ahead of time so someone else may have the opportunity to take your slot 😉
Now you're prepped, ready, and (hopefully) excited for your electrolysis appointment! Of course if you have any additional questions or concerns, please give us a call - (319) 373-9596. We hope to see you soon!