Do you have your own question that isn't addressed here? We'd love to answer it for you!
Call us at (319) 373-9596 - talk to you soon!
Q: What makes Professional Image Enhancement different?
We focus on 3 things: Quality - Education - & Personalization. We want the best for our clients so we focus on ingredients, not name brands, and carry a variety of product lines. We take time to understand you, your skin, and your goals. We explain what each treatment specifically does and how the skin reacts to different treatments and chemicals. Education is key, not just for us, but for our clients as well. Finally, every one of our services is completely customizable. Every person is different, so we believe their treatment should be, too!
Q: What if I'm not sure what treatment options are best for me?
Gives us a call and we can discuss your questions and set up a consultation to further explore the best treatment options for you.
Q: What is electrolysis?
Electrolysis is a type of permanent hair removal. It is accomplished by using a small needle to follow the hair to the root and destroys the hair follicle (what produces the hair) using electrical energy and/or heat. The hair is then removed and does not grow back! For more detailed information, see our popular info brochure here.
Q: What type of electrolysis do you use?
At Professional Image Enhancement, we use the blend method of electrolysis which uses a combination of both the galvanic and thermolysis methods.
Q: How many electrolysis sessions will I need?
The number of treatments is dependent on a variety of factors including the size of the area being treated, the amount of hair in that area, the type of hair, and what has been done previously for hair removal. Some people have dense hair growth, while others have more scarce hair growth.
Q: How long is one session of electrolysis?
Sessions begin at 15 minutes and can go as long as an hour or more. This simply depends on your tolerance and of course, our availability.
Q: Is electrolysis painful?
This is also very dependent on the individual and their general tolerance for pain. It has been described as not much worse than plucking the hairs, and may have a stinging or prickling sensation. We also use a local anesthetic to help reduce pain.
Q: Does electrolysis work on any color skin or hair?
Yes, electrolysis does indeed work on any color hair or skin.
Q: Does electrolysis cause scarring?
Scarring is very unusual when performed properly. It's important to follow the aftercare instructions we will provide to you.
Q: Are there any limitations to successful hair removal using electrolysis?
Waxing and tweezing can cause the hair follicle to bend or change shape. So if you've used these as common hair removal methods, then it may be difficult for the needle to reach the hair follicle easily. This can be discussed with you in further detail at your consultation.
Q: What's the difference between electrolysis and laser hair removal?
- Electrolysis targets the hair follicle specifically while laser hair removal targets melanin. Melanin is what gives your skin, eyes, and hair its color or pigment. The laser seeks out the dark pigment in your hair and uses heat to damage the follicle. Melanin does not produce as much pigment in lighter hair (blonde, white, grey), and therefore is not as effective in those cases. The laser also cannot differentiate between the dark pigment in your hair and the dark pigment in your skin, so it not ideal for patients with tan or darker skin as the treatment may burn the skin. The ideal candidate for laser hair removal is someone with dark hair and light skin.
- Electrolysis removes one hair at a time while laser hair removal treats a small area of hair all at the same time. However, laser hair removal does not remove all of the hair in the area treated. Because of this, under the FDA many of the laser hair removal equipment on the market can only be marketed and labeled as "permanent reduction" of hair as opposed to "permanent removal" as electrolysis can be described.
- The bottom line: There are a large variety of laser treatment and they all make varying claims. Depending on who you talk to and where you read, there are different descriptions of the level of "permanence" that laser hair removal treatment can achieve, however electrolysis is a clear cut permanent solution to hair removal.
We recommend these unbiased articles for more information on the difference between electrolysis and laser hair removal:
- Electrolysis Versus Laser Hair Removal from about.com
- Permanent Hair Removal. Is It Possible? from about.com
- Electrolysis Hair Removal 101 from about.com
- Removing Hair Safely from the Federal Drug Administration (FDA)
- Laser Hair Removal: Definition from the Mayo Clinic
- Laser Hair Removal: Results form the Mayo Clinic
Q: How do I chose a facial?
If you're not sure where to start, we will dedicate the first part of your appointment to a consultation. This is when we'll take a look at your skin and discuss what your goals are. From there, we can help you chose what types of facial treatments would be best for you. In order to determine the right treatment, we need to see your skin. Because of this, we can't make any specific recommendations over the phone. But feel free to call us with any additional questions or concerns.
Q: How do I prepare for my facial?
Don't worry too much about pre-facial prep. We want you to be comfortable, so come as you are. We will take care of washing your face and making sure it's facial ready.
Q: Do you sell the products you use in your facials?
Yes! If there is a product you loved that we used during your facial, ask us about purchasing and home use. We do not, however, offer our chemical peels for sale in our store as they require the use of a professional due to their chemical strength.