You've completed your first electrolysis appointment! Your skin will likely be sensitive after undergoing electrolysis hair removal and will require some special care. You may experience symptoms ranging from slight irritation, sensitivity, or soreness to redness, small bumps, and minor swelling. These are all normal and expected symptoms, particularly if this has been your first treatment. Redness and swelling usually disappear in an hour or two but can last longer. Other symptoms should clear up after one or two days, but if they persist, please reach out to us.
The following instructions are a helpful guideline for the first 48 hours after treatment.
- After an electrolysis treatment, the follicles in the treated area will be open and susceptible to bacteria, so it's very important to keep the area clean. Use a facial cleanser, and minimize contact with the area. Feel free to use your regular moisturizer. We can give you advice on specific products to use.
- Depending on where the electrolysis is done on the body, there may be some minor scabbing - do not pick them off. This is normal and they will go away in a few days.
- Avoid the sun and consistently wear a sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 30. Do not go tanning or get a sunburn on the treated area for at least 2 days.
- Wait 24 hours to apply makeup on the treated area. Avoid makeup that may cause clogged pores (look for non-comedogenic), and do not use powder for 48 hours.
- If you experience any swelling, use ice on the area to bring it down.
- Use aloe or cortisone if desired to promote healing and to keep the area moisturized. You may apply an antibiotic cream at night if desired.
If you have any unusual reactions, are concerned by something you're seeing, or have any questions related to your treatment, please give us a call at (319) 373-9596.